Thursday, July 6, 2017

Memories of days passed

In our humble abode in Malabon, Mamang (that's what I call my mother) wakes up everyday at 4:30 a.m.  At this time, the radio is on and she is listening to a radio commentator named Paeng Yabut while preparing breakfast.  We are one of those families who eat Pan De Sal (bread buns) for breakfast instead of rice meals.  On a regular day, there's a scrambled egg, Dari Creme and hot Dari Gold Evap milk. Some days there were hotdogs bought from the market (it looks like hotdog but tastes like flour, really) or neighborhood-made peanut butter spread (yes..our neighbor makes peanut butter).

When sales of linen was good from the day before, I would know because there would be PUREFOODS hotdog for breakfast or Maling Luncheon Meat.  Or QUEENSLAND BUTTER and Nido Milk.   When there were Blue Bonnet butter  and SANKA coffee...wow!  It meant we have a relative from overseas who just arrived.

My Mamang prohibited me from drinking coffee.  I would end up very edgy she said.  Palpitations that's what she calls it.  I remember when the Olympic games is up, there would be free plastic toy soldiers inside a can of Milo (there was no refill pack back then).

Even if Pan De Sal was served for breakfast, there would be steamed white rice and one cooked meal.  But, we cannot touch it because that would be packed for lunch at school.  It would be put in a 3-tier tin container, she calls it PIMBRERA.  Water in our jugs come from the faucet.  We use that 1 liter family sized glass bottles...three, and we put them in big native bags we call Bayong.  We I was younger, we can drink tap water from faucets without fear of getting sick.
Back then, there was less plastic items.  Tupperwares was for the rich and plates were breakable if not stainless steel.  Our drinking glasses were containers of Nescafe and Liliy's Peanut Butter.  And whatever my Mamang wants for music in the morning would be the music for the day for all...songs of Mario Lanza "How much is that doggie in the window"... " Tenessee Waltz"... "Bobby, bobby, bobby"... and her favorite "My love will see you through".
Alas sais y media or 6:30 a.m... the house would be empty...I would be at school...while the rest would help my Mamang open her small store of linen in the market.  I really hate listening to Paeng Yabut back then because I really prefer songs of Leif Garret❤️.  
I miss those days... nakaka miss.


Reminiscing while eating maling, toasted bread, brewed coffee, sunny side up, peach halves leftover, kewpie mayo, strawberry marmalade, queensland butter while listening to stacey kent with my kids, Adrian Manaluz and Maru Ganeer

No comments:

Post a Comment